Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Masculine Card Tutorial and a Tip!

Hi all, Madge here with my last post for the month of April for OCS.  Today I’m going to share a (very simple) tutorial on how to make cuts in Patterned Paper to make it work with your image while also adding an element. This will also take you  Step-by-step on how I made this card.  Prepare to sit a while!
First:   Here is a little tip that I discovered while doing my nails (don’t ask!). 1 This little bottle of “Base Coat” Nail Polish is absolutely fantastic for making your black lines “POP” from your colored images!!!   - comes with it’s own little brush!!  - from the $$$ store.  AND it also adds a slight gloss and stiffens your cut image!!   WOW – all that from an 2asloppy mistake errrrr,  experiment.  Ask me how I know that, in fact the blacks became more vibrant?. . . . well, while the puddle, ummmmm,  application was drying, I screeched “OMG “ ummmm, hypothesized the abnormal change in depth of color and made a mental note to myself . . . . clumsy jerk2 . . .  phew, well that turned out ok.
OK, on with my tutorial……..  I started with this little image of Snoesjes - Snoes with Bird, from Marianne Designs – available at OCS.  This little fella really grew on me……….  I stamped the image onto XPress It Blend Cardstock, with Memento Tuxedo Black , colored it with Copic Markers and fussy cut him out.  (Sometimes a light bulb goes on, sometimes a candle flickers)  Here’s what I did to bring my card to fruition. 
Next I chose some masculine papers and elements – for April’s OCS’s Masculine Challenge.  The DP paper is from an Authentique Paper Collection3
5

I sponged Tim Holtz Distress Ink, “Tea Dye” to all the papers to give a Vintage look.6

Then I began to place color blocks until I was satisfied with the result.
The red color block was positioned under the cut-out. I also penciled in “H-A-P-P-Y  B-I-R-T-H-D-A-Y” onto the banner.7 8
   3 Dimensional foam squares were placed on back side of image.
I added the elements, (stars, feather and twine) to the card and placed the image over the twine – placing the sentiment in between the twine to give a matted look.  

11 
Above, is the finished result ~  Colorful, masculine and regular postage rate thickness for mailing.  I also added papers to the inside of the card – for more “eye candy”.
Til Next Time.    “Stamp up a storm, ink up a wish – and send it on to brighten someone’s day”.
~ rubber hugz ~siggyhaycock

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dah-ing! I just popped in for a look-see - this is really cute......and your sense of humor, well - don't quit your day job.
Luv ya anyway.
Your biggest fan.
KK

Doreen Horats, Clayton said...

Very nice and so wonderful. Great colors too.
Blessings, Doreen

Anonymous said...

The best creations were discovered by accident, awesome tip Madge
Hugs julie P